You read the title right.
As improbable as it sounds, this is true. Ice cream. Soft-serve style. A single ingredient. No ice cream maker necessary.
I came across this “recipe”, if it can be called that, in the videos of two youtubers (bubz and blogilates), and subsequently, in the weekly newspaper supplement. That was a sign that I had to try it out!
If you’re looking for a fat-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, egg-free, fuss-free healthy tasty vegan ice cream recipe, this is it. Even if you’re not looking for one, you should try it!
What is this wonderful ingredient with such super powers?
The humble Banana!
Enough talk, now let’s get to it.
One Ingredient Ice Cream Recipe
1-2 Ripe bananas
1. Peel, slice and freeze the bananas for a few hours till they’re solid.
2. Place the frozen banana slices in a blender, blend for a minute or two till creamy. Scrape down the sides while blending to give all banana slices an equal chance.
(Oh, and Step 3: Eat.)
Trust me, this is very tasty! Frozen blended banana gets the exact texture and taste of soft-serve ice cream, if not better.
A few points I’d like to specify:
- The bananas should be sliced. I slice them into one-centimeter thick pieces. Big pieces or uncut frozen bananas won’t blend well, and they might harm your blender’s blades.
- I personally prefer slicing the bananas before freezing. You can do it the other way round, and slice them when frozen, but that results in frozen finger syndrome. Not comfortable.
- Do not over blend, as the friction from the blades will warm the ice cream up and make it runny.
- If you're making bigger batches, I recommend using a really powerful blender (I prefer making small batches.)
You can customize your ice cream in any way you want. Add fresh or frozen fruits, chocolate chips, vanilla, nutella, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, peanut butter, nuts, honey…whatever rocks your boat!
I added a handful of frozen raspberries, and a little sugar to compensate for the resulting sourness, to mine. Perfect raspberry coloured, raspberry flavoured bowl of healthy frozen goodness! Yes, this definitely counts towards your five daily servings of fruit. Technically, you're eating fruit, but actually it's ice cream. Couldn't get better than that!
This one-ingredient ice cream freezes well, and can be stored in the freezer just like regular ice cream. Freshly made, the texture is delightful, just like soft serve. Frozen, it gets the texture of regular ice cream. Still delightful.
If you’re trying to reduce your intake of refined sugar, dairy, fats, or going vegan, this is perfect for that sweet-tooth. Or if you have a couple of bananas just lying around, waiting to be transformed into delectable ice cream ;)
Let me know if you try this recipe!
(Disclaimer: Photos are not mine; I was too involved in making and devouring my own creation)