Wednesday 8 May 2013

Quit Checking So Much



We are a generation that’s obsessed with checking everything often. Email, Facebook, cell phone, weight, calories, blogger stats… Do we really need to? Isn’t this turning into an unhealthy obsession?


Nothing’s going to happen if you check your email only twice a day. There’s not going to be some news on the TV/radio every 30 minutes. Facebook isn’t coming up with exciting new information every two hours. 

via


We won’t put on (or lose) a Kg every day. Counting calories of every dish you eat only increases stress levels. Looking into the mirror every hour to check your hair/make up/face does nothing to boost your confidence.

via


I’ve been through some of these checking “obsessions”. Breaking them wasn’t easy, but not as hard as you’d think. The results are worth it – I feel more at ease and less stressed about all those things. I used to check my cell phone all the time. I’d log into Gmail and Facebook very often. Check myself in the mirror (and be dissatisfied with my hair/makeup) at least once every hour.   

Now that I’ve broken those habits, I feel a lot more relaxed. More at ease. Because there’s nothing pushing me internally to check everything. And it feels good.

 



Today's prompt:: A piece of advice you have for others.

12 comments:

  1. I heard a radio talk about this the other day. Did you know there is actually therapy for people who check their facebook too often. Since that conversation I have not been on facebook as much. Great advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few friends who could really use this, I find it so disrespectful when people go on their phone when I am talking to them, it's like HELLO?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice, but so hard! I think blogging has made it harder because I want to see if there were any reactions to a post I wrote. That is one of the big reasons I don't want to blog on weekends - it's much easier to disconnect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Blogging is yet another social media that keeps calling out my name to check for updates!

      Delete
  4. Good advice. I know that I can at times excessively check my Facebook on the phone. I think it is important to disconnect from time to time.

    Just found your blog via the Blog Every Day challenge.

    alifelesstravel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm.... I am addicted to checking my blog, fb, instagram etc etc. I think a 'time out' with all electronics confiscated from me for a few hours each day would be pretty good right now. But hold on.... I'm doing this blog every day of May challenge - maybe I'll wait until June!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the title of this and cringed. I knew what it was going to be. And I knew I'd feel guilty because I need to be better. Darn you and your totally on key advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you. I don't have a smart phone, but that is why -- I don't want to get into the habit of checking on everything all the time. I actually WANT to stay disconnected when I am out and about so I can CONNECT to what I am doing. GREAT advice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This advice is wonderful... I came for the Anne Shirley reference in the newer post, I explored the blog for stuff like this. Especailly as a teenager I'm prone to checking...well, everything! My challenge for the week will be to take that on board. Lovely work! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice! I find myself checking things far too often, and have to shout at myself to stop. Thankfully I can remember a time before we carried so much technology in our pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so true! I am guilty of this.

    ReplyDelete